Re: Playing midi?

Florian Kulzer wrote:
On Sun, Apr 23, 2006 at 17:47:56 -0300, Bruno Buys wrote:
This is debian sarge with marillat multimedia sources. I'm trying to play a midi file, but I get a "Could not open /dev/sequencer to get some info. Probably there's another program using it" error, from kmid. That's the first time I try to open a midi file, so, probably I lack some config. Trying to open Settings > MIDI setup brings me the same window.

What can I do?

Check if /dev/sequencer exists, and if it has the proper ownership and
permissions settings:

$ ls -l /dev/sequencer
crw-rw---- 1 root audio 14, 1 2006-04-22 14:40 /dev/sequencer

If that is OK check which process is accessing the device:

$ lsof | grep /dev/sequencer
I have a similar problem. /dev/sequencer doesn't exist, though... it's /dev/.static/dev/sequencer and KMid can't find it. I can play Midi files with Timidity, but that's all. How can I tell KMid where the sequencer is? Or tell udev to put it in /dev?

Btw, is there a midi plug-in for Firefox? I hate that "plug-in needed but not found" moment...

--
Blessings

Wulfmann

Wulf Credo:
Respect the elders. Teach the young. Co-operate with the pack. Play when you can. Hunt when you must. Rest in between.