4GB HD only reporting half capacity (2GB)

This is not Debian or Linux specific, but I hope that some experts on
this list can point me in the right direction.

I have a Fujitsu MPA3043AT IDE hard disk that formerly had a capacity of
about 4.3 GB.  Hate to throw it away as it can still perform useful
service in an older computer I have.

In the BIOS, fdisk, etc., all are now reporting a capacity of 2.1 GB.  I
don't know what may have happened as the HD was tried in several
machines over time, under various circumstances.  Some attempt to
install an OS on it may have hosed it.

FDISK (under Win98), fdisk, cfdisk all report 2.1 GB.  FAT32.  Have
tried deleting partition, etc. but is still reported as 2.1GB.  All is
well on that space -- formats under Win and Linux(etch).

I understand that there is a 2 GB limitation if FAT16.  But the size of
2.1GB is apparently stored somewhere on the disk.  (Where?)

It is presently being used in a Gateway E3400 Pentium III 800 MHz.
machine.  I find no way in the AMI BIOS to change the size -- only thing
it does is "Auto".  Other hard drives that I place in this machine
report the correct information.

Can anyone help by either giving me directions on how to recover the
capacity of this drive .. or pointing me to where I might find this
information.

Thanks,

Don