Re: Firestarter: how to auto start it?

On Sun, Apr 23, 2006 at 10:49:47 -0700, lmyho wrote:
> --- Florian Kulzer <florian@molphys.leidenuniv.nl> wrote:

[...]

> > If my firewall is deactivated I see this:
                      ^^^^^^^^^^^
> > Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
> > target     prot opt source               destination
> >
> > Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
> > target     prot opt source               destination
> >
> > Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
> > target     prot opt source               destination

[...]

> Thank you Florian! I just sent out a question to ask how to check before see your
> reply.  Thank you for the guide!
>
> I haven't lauch the gui firestarter yet, it's a good time, so I checked the
> 'iptables -L', I do get many outputs, but for the three you listed, I got different,
> please see:
>
> Chain INPUT (policy DROP)
>
> Chain FORWARD (policy DROP)
>
> Chain OUTBOUND (1 references)
>
> Why is mine 'policy DROP'?  And under these title lines, under 'target', lots of
> them are ACCEPT, some are DROP.  What happen?  Does my firestarter running?  Or do I
> have something set wrong?

I see now that my post was written such that it can easily be
misunderstood: The output of "iptables -L" which I included was for the
case when I turn off my firewall. In that case all traffic INPUT,
OUTPUT, and FORWARD (for routers) is ACCEPTed. I did not post the output
for my activated firewall, because there are many different ways to set
up the chains to block all potentially dangerous traffic, so your rules
will surely be different from mine.

You see lots of rules with DROPs; that means your firewall is running
and was configured by firestarter as you set it up with the GUI. Of
course you have to check now if the settings in the GUI make sense for
your situation, but it is clear that they are applied at every boot.

--
Regards,
          Florian