Multiple ubuntu-based distributions (was: Re: distributions: UBUNTU vs DEBIAN)

On 04/21/06 19:58, Steve Lamb wrote:
>     And, of course, why there's UBUNTU and KUBUNTU.  Waiting for XUBUNTU
> myself.  ;)

Indeed. I'm on the same boat here...

After using "pure" ubuntu on an old laptop of mine I wouldn't expect it to run
soooo poorly.

With all the talk about Gnome getting leaner and snappier, with a focus on
reducing the amount of RAM needed to run, I expected that it would be a nice
thing to base a course of mine regarding Linux to some co-workers, but given
that we don't live in the richest country of the world, our machines are not as
fast as some developers think that they should be.

I installed xubuntu and it worked much better. My only complaint regarding it
was that I could not hibernate my system, as I could when I booted with Gnome.

Actually, I'm right now with both installed on this "sacrificial" machine, but I
am surely waiting for xubuntu to get slightly more polished...

Regards, Rogério.

Homepage on freshmeat:  http://freshmeat.net/projects/algorithms/