Postgresql 8.1 on Stable

I've built Pg 8.1.3 from source on stable for testing, but for
production I'm wondering if a backport would be a better option.
I've had some trouble with backports in the past due to dependencies,
but that may not be the case with Postgresql.

The problem with building from source is that I'd need to setup my
own init script, and (I assume) log rotation, etc.

So, just looking for suggestions.

Anyone have experience installing an 8.1 backport?  Did you update
your sources.list and install with apt-get, or did you download and
dpkg -i the deb?  How do the binaries (psql, createdb, etc.) co-exist
with the stock 7.4?

Thanks,

--
Bill Moseley