Re: Fonts changed after X upgrade in unstable

On Sat, Apr 22, 2006 at 15:46:47 -0700, Nate Eldredge wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Apr 2006, Florian Kulzer wrote:

[...]

> >To try different settings quickly, you can start X like this:
> >
> >startx -- -dpi 84
>
> Aha, that did the trick.  And for some reason it didn't affect xterm, etc,
> either.  Maybe those have a fixed font size set somewhere.
>
> Now to figure out how to set it permanently.  I grepped all of /etc/X11
> for "dpi"; the only match I found was in /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc which
> has
>
> exec /usr/bin/X11/X -dpi 100 -nolisten tcp
>
> But 100 dpi is not the value that's being used, so this can't be it.
> Moreover this file doesn't seem to have changed since the upgrade.  Do you
> know what's the "right" place to specify arguments to the X server?  I
> normally start the server manually with "startx".

I think you can copy /etc/X11/xinit/xserverrc to your home directory and
call it .xserverrc, then it will be used when you run "startx". Whenever
possible I try to avoid making changes in the system files, as this
might break things at the next upgrade. (BTW, for security purposes it is
really advisable that you keep the "-nolisten tcp" part.)

If that doesn't work you can try one of the other files mentioned in
"man startx". (I use X with graphical log-in, therefore my knowledge
about startx and its configuration files is a bit shaky.)

If all else fails you can just put an alias in your .bashrc or
.bash_aliases file:

alias startx='startx -- -dpi 84 -nolisten tcp'

--
Regards,
          Florian