Re: Fonts changed after X upgrade in unstable

On Fri, Apr 21, 2006 at 16:21:11 -0700, Nate Eldredge wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Apr 2006, Florian Kulzer wrote:
>
> >On Thu, Apr 20, 2006 at 17:21:10 -0700, Nate Eldredge wrote:
> >>The other day I upgraded my unstable to get the new X.org packages.  Most
> >>everything seems okay except that the fonts in many applications are
> >>different.  Let's take gaim as an example.  The font used throughout
> >>(buddy list, for example) is much smaller than the one I had before, and I
> >>don't like it.
> >
> >Are you sure that it is really a different font, i.e. a different
> >typeface, or could it be the same font scaled down in size?
>
> That is possible.  I can't tell for sure but it might be the same font.

[...]

> >Your problem might be due to changes in your X server's resolution
> >settings, which influence the size of the fonts on the screen. You can
> >check this from an X terminal with the command
> >
> >xdpyinfo | grep resolution

[...]

> Thanks for the suggestion, I wasn't aware that such a setting existed.
> It looks like mine is set to 75x75 dpi.  The screen is about a 14" LCD
> which is 1024x768 pixels.  That does seem too low; by my calculations the
> screen should be 1280 pixels diagonally, so it should be more like 90 dpi.
>
> How would I adjust this?  I don't see anything that seems to set screen
> dpi in either my old or new X server config files, so I don't know what
> the old value was or how it got changed.

To try different settings quickly, you can start X like this:

startx -- -dpi 84

> Also, would this necessarily affect fonts across the board?  Because in
> some applications, e.g. xterm, the fonts still look exactly the same as
> before.

Then maybe something changed with respect to how GTK applications such
as Gaim set up their user interface. If you change the X resolution all
applications should indeed be affected the same. It seems to me that the
quickest fix might be to look at the file .gtkrc-2.0 in your home
directory and search for a font specification. This is what I have:

style "user-font"
 {
        font_name="Bitstream Vera Sans 11"
 }
widget_class "*" style "user-font"

You could try to increase the size specification - "11" (points) in my
case - and restart Gaim.

--
Regards,
          Florian