Re: Xorg upgrade: xdm fails, xterm can't change fonts?

On Sat, Apr 22, 2006 at 17:58:07 -0400, Carl Fink wrote:
> I finally bit the bullet and upgraded my desktop (etch) machine this
> morning.
>
> After much fiddling and reading of old messages to this list, I'm typing
> this from within Xorg, but I had to uninstall --purge xlibs,
> x-window-system, xbase-clients, and xserver-xorg and then reinstall, and the
> current system still lacks an Xsession file (because as per messages to this
> list I removed /etc/X11 before reinstalling, and no new one was made).

Try to reinstall the x11-common package, maybe even purge it first and
reinstall it. I have the suspicion that the rest of your problems are
caused by your missing /etc/X11/Xsession, and maybe other files in
/etc/X11.

You could use

dpkg -S X11 | grep /etc/X11/ | cut -d ":" -f 1 | sed 's/, /\n/g' | sort -u | dpkg -l $(cat) | grep ^ii | cut -d " " -f 3

to get a list of all installed packages which are supposed to have files
in /ect/X11/. Maybe you need to reinstall more of them to restore
everything to normal.

(Disclaimer: Looking at that bash line again, it seems to me that I
really have to go to bed now. YMMV)

--
Regards,
          Florian