Re: distributions: UBUNTU vs DEBIAN

On Sat, Apr 22, 2006 at 01:04:09PM -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:
> Paul Johnson wrote:
> > There's nothing stopping you from installing nonfree software on your system.
> > You just probably won't be able to apt-get it.  Case in point:  You can get
> > games for Linux at WalMart for around $20 per title.
>
>     Sure there is.  We're talking about the install here.  Network card not
> found.  Hmm, kinda hard to install if I can't get to the net to install
> anything.  Video card not configured, there goes games.  Hm, no net, no video,
> there goes Debian.

Net:  There are plenty of network cards supported by the debian
installer, and a little research will turn up what they are.  If you can
get one, you find and download the cd with, for example, madwifi-source
and linux-headers-<foo> and install them that way to get your network
card working.

Video:  Usually all it takes is knowing what video card you have and
what driver it uses and choosing that when you configure X.  Even less
research than network cards.  And if it isn't supported by a driver
'vesa' will almost always work.

Would you buy hardware for Windows on an i386 without checking if it was
designed for an incompatible machine?  Or seeing what other people's
experience with it has been?  Neither should you for Debian, or for any
other GNU/Linux system.  If you check back in the archives from earlier
this month, you'll see people asking for suggestions for hardware that
works under Debian, and getting kind responses.

If you want your software vendor to be in bed with your hardware vendor,
it's either Windows or a Mac or other proprietary system.  Sorry.

--
Christopher Nelson -- chris@cavein.org
List each check separately by bank number.