Re: Why do people in the UK put a u in the word color?

On Friday 21 April 2006 18:04, Ron Johnson wrote:
>On Fri, 2006-04-21 at 15:18 -0500, Mike McCarty wrote:
>> Michelle Konzack wrote:
>> >
>> > Not right, because the there are 150,000,000 illegal mexicans in
>> > the USA and 50,000,000 illegal prisoners in US-Teritory like
>> > Guantanamo.
>>
>> Guantanamo is not a territory. It is a base which is leased from
>> Cuba. So the Federal Government can lease land from Cuba, but I
>> can't buy a cigar from there.
>
>Yes, they can, since the land was leased way before the Revolution.
>
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guantanamo_Bay_Naval_Base
>
>    The United States controls the land on both sides of the southern
>    part of Guantánamo Bay (Bahía de Guantánamo in Spanish) under
>    a lease set up in the wake of the 1898 Spanish-American War.
>    The Cuban government denounces the lease on grounds that article
>    52 of the 1969 Vienna Convention on the Law of Treaties voids
>    treaties procured by force or its threatened use.

Yes, and Fidel knows full well who would win the argumment should he
decide to get pushy about it.  Cuba (He) I believe, does get what is
today a small annual pittance for the lease & I have NDI if its ever
been renegotiated.  The fact that he's denouncing it probably means
that its 'granted in perpetuity' and not subject to renewal at
intervals.

Frankly, I have to admit I have a certain admiration for the man since
he has been forced to walk a mighty thin rope without a net he
personally didn't tie the knots in since the USSR came apart.  The fact
that he has succeeded in doing exactly that tells me he is an extremely
sane individual.  I fear for the cuban people when he finally does fall
over as theres no other strong man in the wings.  Such people generally
get antsie and push the buttons to hasten the transfer of power, and it
hasn't (that we know of) even been attempted.

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: