Re: good anti-virus software to use?

On Friday 21 April 2006 07:32, Michael Schurter wrote:
> Kamaraju Kusumanchi wrote:
> > On Friday 21 April 2006 04:19, Johannes Wiedersich wrote:
> >> Also linux viruses occur only very seldom -- probably because of linux's
> >> different security approach.
> >
> > Could it be because there are less number of desktop users using Linux
> > than windows?
>
> While Linux is more secure-by-design than Microsoft, there is some truth
> to the idea that Windows is a bigger target because its more popular.
>
> Think of it this way: if you were a virus/spyware/malware writer who
> would you target?  95% of the market or 5% of the market?

Yes, but who runs that 5%?  Businesses you want to compromise?  Government
agency you dislike?  There are a number of reasons a platform is targeted.

On the other hand, I feel that Windows gets targeted more because it's an easy
target:  Which would you rather try to crack or crash?  The OS with 5% of the
world's bugs, or 95%?

> Also, Linux users tend to be more technically minded and able to
> correctly administer their own computers.

That might be true of the administrators, but not necessarily of the users.
Everyone where I work is a Linux and HP/UX user, but they're not the ones
maintaining the machines.

--
Paul Johnson
Jabber: Because it's time to move forward  http://ursine.ca/Ursine:Jabber