Re: Installation DVDs - Questions

"Carlos E. S. Mazzini" <carlos_smz@yahoo.com.br> wrote:

> Hello, I'm kind  of new in the linux world and I need some help, I hope you'll answer my questions...
>
> I've heard a lot about debian and decided to use it... Now, I'm donwloading the DVD .ISO file number 1. My question are:
>
> 1) Can I install the system and have it running just with this DVD (DVD 1)?

Yes. You could have a *basic* system running with just the netinst .iso
(150 MB).

> 2) The DVD 1 contains everything for a basic system? Like common application (open office, editors, internet tools and GNOME programs)

Should be there, but you can check for yourself.

> 3) What is the content of the DVD 2?

Software not so popular as the one on DVD 1

> 4) Where can I get this kind of information?

http://www.us.debian.org/CD/jigdo-cd/#search

Don't worry if you don't know what jigdo is. It's just another method to
download the .iso

> 5) Supposing the answer for 1 is yes, the content od the DVD 2 can be installed later without any problems?

You don't even need to download it. Debian's packaging system can
install from various sources, especially from the internet. This means
you can *very easy* download and install any of the 15,000 packages
available in Debian.

> I know this questions will sound very stupid to many... but I know you guys want the spread linux... and here I am to be one more...
>
> Thanks...

Welcome on board. There is lots of information available on
www.debian.org including answers to all your questions (though some of
them are not so obvious or easy to find). You might want to start with
the FAQ.

HTH
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)