Re: distributions: UBUNTU vs DEBIAN

On Thu, Apr 20, 2006 at 08:10:36AM -0400, Attila Horvath wrote:
> Jon
>
> My question was/is genuine. It's not my intention to start a flamewar.
> However, I will search thru the archives for past opinions/suggestions. I
> apprecaite your response.
>
> I am new to LINUX and somewhat dismaid/confused about the various
> distributions. I'd like to set up a LINUX-based server for mail, web,
> personal commerce, etc. Since this is for personal purposes, I decided on
> LINUX based system because [1]it's free and [2]my perceived notion that
> it's more stable than windows environment.
>
> Being new to LINUX, a GUI-based system like GNOME adds some convenience
> but ultimately is not necessary. BASH command line-based system is
> sufficient. I [initially] chose UNBUNTU simply because it was handed to me
> to try out. After a couple of weeks of playing around, I discovered a
> wealth of information as well as 'choices'.

Then the free disk has served its primary purpose.  Welcome to the
rather loose Linux (dis)organisation.  The wealth of "choices" is
precisely because it's free -- anyone can go off and make his own
variant of anything.  And quite a few do.  The successful variants
survive.  There is, shall we say, ecological diversity in Linux.

-- hendrik