Re: distributions: UBUNTU vs DEBIAN

On Thu, Apr 20, 2006 at 08:20:07AM -0700, Mike Bird wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-04-20 at 02:19, Attila Horvath wrote:
> > What is the difference between UBUNTU and DEBIAN
> > installations/distributions?
>
> Although Ubuntu is derived from Debian, they are managed very
> differently.
>
> Debian Stable tends to lag, and Debian Testing can be flaky
> for production work.  A new Debian Stable is released rarely
> although it is anticipated that this will improve.  Serious
> changes in Debian are almost always debated to death, which
> results in very few unpleasant surprises.
>
> A new Ubuntu Stable is released roughly every six months.
> Ubuntu has numerous policies concerning changes but seldom
> follows them strictly.  Complaints about nasty surprises are
> generally met with "the dictator has decided, live with it"
> or "the developers have decided, live with it".  Sometimes
> the decision actually implemented in a release is the opposite
> of the decision documented in the wiki.
Hi Mike,
Debian does not (usually) have a 'strong hand' at the helm like Ubuntu
does, this leads to Ubuntu having a stronger focus and all their ducks
(mostly) going in one direction. Debian is not (usually) one to have all
its Developers moving is a single direction expect for the posted
release goals as the focus. Although the recent focus on teams within
debian may get more people focused.

> We switched most of our clients from Fedora to Ubuntu because
> Fedora was becoming too unstable and Ubuntu at the time was
> just a version of Debian that was miraculously up to date.  Now
> we're switching clients to Debian because Ubuntu has become as
> flaky as Fedora.
It seems that with the last 2 releases, Ubuntu it picking up steam and
getting more focused upon making a product for the enterprise, and with
the expected release of Dapper drake and Dapper + 1, it is really trying
to get the business world to notice its shining technology (xen and
gnome). This has I think lead to some minor instability within the
distro but will be smoothed out in the next releases.

> On the other hand, if you want to live on the bleeding edge,
> go for it.  For example, nvu will be in Ubuntu Stable in June
> but is still only in Debian Unstable and may not transit
> Debian Testing into Debian Stable for another 18-24 months.
This is where the difference occur: debian has always had a server and
multiple architecture focus that moves along at a steady pace contrary
to what Ubuntu is doing. Kind of like the rabbit and the hare x-)
cheers,
Kev