Re: Performance testing question:

2 x 2/DH Hardware RAID controllers
1 x Emulex LP8000 Fibre Channel controller
Dual 10/100 NIC (Intel)
Fibre 1000 NIC (Intel)
(All PCI slots are 32-bit/33 Mhz.)

I don't have experience with your hardware, but do you realize that a PCI
bus with 32bit/33MHz can't handle a gigabit NIC? The theoretical maximal
bandwidth is 133 MB/s which is shared with all slots at the bus. So if
you don't have more than one independant PCI bus at your mainboard all
your cards must share the bandwidth.

The 6500 has, I believe, dual PCI buses. I know that it is limiting the throughput of the NIC - would it also be holding the fibre channel card back also? Still doesn't explain why a 32-bit 2/DH RAID card performs better than the 64-bit (in 32-bit slot) 2Gb/sec fibre chanel card.

Are you sure that you had the same test conditions?

Same machine, the only difference is that /tmp is on the 2/DH card, and /export/iso is handled by the fibre channel one.

Cheers,

Pete.