Re: snd-azx.o was removed from the testing distro

On Sat, Apr 22, 2006 at 03:26:55 +1000, David wrote:
> Hey florian,
>
> I'm having issues also. I've got an LG LW60 Express (Fairly new notebook)
> the sound works in FC4 but not in Debian or Novell,
>
> It says I need snd-azx as snd-intel-hda will not work.
>
> Lost. truly lost. comes with the inexperience :-)
>
> Cheers,
>
> David

Dear David,

It seems that you are new to this mailing list. Welcome. We try to
follow certain rules here, to make sure that everyone profits as much as
possible from the discussions we have. Please see the following
introduction by Kamaraju Kusumanchi for further information:
http://people.cornell.edu/pages/kk288/du-guidelines.html

(I am sending a copy of this message to your personal email address.
This is normally not done, but I think it is possible that you found an
old message of mine in a web archive and used a "reply to this" link to
send your message. In that case you might not even be subscribed to the
list and a CC to your personal email address is the only way to make
sure that my answer reaches you.)

Now, to address your problem with the sound:

The first thing to try is to install the packages "alsa-base" and
"alsa-utils". Then you can run the following command as root:

alsaconf

This should normally be enough to detect your hardware and configure
everything. Afterwards you just have to remember to run "alsamixer" to
make sure that the volume is turned up.

However, this procedure can fail if you have very new or exotic
hardware. Someone on this list may very well be able to help you in that
case, but we need more information first. Please run the following
commands and post their output:

uname -a
lspci
cat /etc/issue