Re: Performance testing question:

Hi all,

I have been doing some performance testing on my file server, the specs
of the machine are:

Compaq Proliant 6500
Quad Pentium Pro 200/1MB cache
2GB Ram
2 x 2/DH Hardware RAID controllers
1 x Emulex LP8000 Fibre Channel controller
Dual 10/100 NIC (Intel)
Fibre 1000 NIC (Intel)
(All PCI slots are 32-bit/33 Mhz.)

This is connected, via a Storageworks San Switch 8 (basically a Brocade
Silkworm 2400) to two :

Storageworks 4000 fibre channel enclosure, each with 12 x 36GB U160,
10,000rpm drives arranged as 2 logical RAID 5 drives.

The box is running Debian Sarge, fully patched upto date.

I realise the hardware is not exactly top of the range, but I thought
I'd see what it would do.

OK, so I have run a few tests, but settled on dbench as it's *really*
easy to use :-)
I am seeing about 54MB/sec when run on the fibre connected drive(s), and
about 90MB/sec when using the 2/DH controllers...this seems a little
odd, as the 2/DH are only supposed to be 40 MB/sec interfaces, whereas
the LP8000 is a 1Gb/sec card - I would expect to be seeing closer to
100MB/sec from the fibre devices ....

From local, 2/DH filesystems:

bungo:/tmp# dbench 2
2 clients started
  0     62477  90.67 MB/sec
Throughput 90.6613 MB/sec 2 procs

From FC connected:

bungo:/export/iso# dbench 2
2 clients started
  0     62477  44.23 MB/sec
Throughput 44.2259 MB/sec 2 procs

Is there anything else I can try, or do these figures seem reasonable to
everyone?

Cheers,

I would ask your question on the debian-isp list.  You are more likely
to find people there that have dealt with this level of hardware.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez
http://familiasanchez.net/~roberto

Thanks ... I'll try that..but there must be someone on this list with similar hardware - it's not *that* old or obscure surely?

Cheers,

Pete.