Problems compiling (any) modules

I decided to switch from using kernel.org kernels to debian ones, as
space is not an issue and I like the package management system.

However, I need the madwifi module to have network access, so I
installed linux-headers-2.6.16-1-k7 (yes, I do have a k7, so it's not
that).  I ran a 'make-kpkg debian' in the
/usr/src/linux-headers-2.6.16-1-k7 directory, and got no errors, so I
proceeded to run 'make-kpkg modules_image'.  This spat out the error:

The UTS Release version in include/linux/version.h
     "2.6.16-1-k7"
does not match current version:
     "2.6.16"
Please correct this.
make: *** [modules_image] Error 2

and died.  I tried deleting the madwifi directory and trying with
alsa-source, to the same end, so I don't think it's something in the
module.  And, for reference, I'm not running a kernel 2.6.16, I'm
currently running 2.6.17-rc1.

The first line when I tried to make the modules_image was:

exec debian/rules  DEBIAN_REVISION=2.6.16-10.00.Custom  modules_image

which is, I suspect, part of the problem, but I'm not sure.
I don't know the gritty details of the kernel, building the kernel and
modules 'just worked' before, so I would appreciate some help in
figurinig out how to solve this problem.

TIA,
--
Christopher Nelson -- chris@cavein.org
"Why can't we ever attempt to solve a problem in this country without