Re: Grub + CD-ROM

On Wed, 2006-04-19 at 05:54 -0700, Willie Wonka wrote:
> If for some odd reason, you think it's RAM module/size related, I
> suggest you go over your BIOS settings with a fine
> toothed-comb...(though I'm guessing) look into settings like "shadow
> BIOS", and "Hole at 1MB boundary" (or 15-16MB boundary). Perhaps try;
> if there's a "Load Setup Optimized Defaults" (BUT... note ALL your
> orig. settings Prior).
I'll do that.  There isn't a lot in the BIOS though, it's extremely
basic.  I borrowed my old 512mb dimm back today and tried it on its own
- didn't resolve the issue.

> May even look into Flashing that BIOS,
I'll try that next - maybe something got messed up somehow.

> some munged ROM or CMOS/NV-RAM code....HP may also be using an area of
> the HDD to *store* your NV-RAM data, and the ROM BIOS is just a
> 'pointer' to that *hidden* HDD area.
>
> try;
> # hdparm -I /dev/hda
>
> By chance - is that a Matsushita DVD-RAM drive ? (or similar?)
Yes it is.  What's the significance?

theluggage ~ # grep hdc /var/log/dmesg
    ide1: BM-DMA at 0x3018-0x301f, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:pio
hdc: MATSHITAUJ-840D, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
hdc: ATAPI 24X DVD-ROM DVD-R CD-R/RW drive, 2048kB Cache, (U)DMA
theluggage ~ #

Output of hdparm -I /dev/hda - I'm not sure what to look for:

theluggage ~ # hdparm -I /dev/hda

/dev/hda:

ATA device, with non-removable media
        Model Number:       ST9808211A
        Serial Number:      3LF2LL6S
        Firmware Revision:  3.02
Standards:
        Used: ATA/ATAPI-6 T13 1410D revision 2
        Supported: 6 5 4 3
Configuration:
        Logical         max     current
        cylinders       16383   65535
        heads           16      1
        sectors/track   63      63
        --
        CHS current addressable sectors:    4128705
        LBA    user addressable sectors:  156301488
        LBA48  user addressable sectors:  156301488
        device size with M = 1024*1024:       76319 MBytes
        device size with M = 1000*1000:       80026 MBytes (80 GB)
Capabilities:
        LBA, IORDY(can be disabled)
        bytes avail on r/w long: 4      Queue depth: 1
        Standby timer values: spec'd by Standard, no device specific
minimum
        R/W multiple sector transfer: Max = 16  Current = 16
        Advanced power management level: unknown setting (0x8080)
        Recommended acoustic management value: 254, current value: 0
        DMA: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2 udma0 udma1 udma2 udma3 udma4 *udma5
             Cycle time: min=120ns recommended=120ns
        PIO: pio0 pio1 pio2 pio3 pio4
             Cycle time: no flow control=240ns  IORDY flow control=120ns
Commands/features:
        Enabled Supported:
           *    READ BUFFER cmd
           *    WRITE BUFFER cmd
           *    Look-ahead
           *    Write cache
           *    Power Management feature set
                Security Mode feature set
           *    SMART feature set
           *    FLUSH CACHE EXT command
           *    Mandatory FLUSH CACHE command
                Device Configuration Overlay feature set
           *    48-bit Address feature set
                SET MAX security extension
           *    Advanced Power Management feature set
           *    DOWNLOAD MICROCODE cmd
           *    SMART self-test
           *    SMART error logging
Security: