Re: Grub + CD-ROM

Hans du Plooy wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-04-17 at 16:54 -0500, Mike McCarty wrote:
> > Is the boot order correct? IOW, is the CDROM placed before other
> > boot devices?
>
> Yes.
>
> > If it is, then I suspect you have a hardware problem, which will
not
> > be fixed by putting GRUB on a CDROM.
>
> I considered it, but I doubt, because:
> 1.  It's a new notebook, and the drive works perfectly otherwise.
> 2.  If I start up vmware, the virtual machine can boot off the
CD-ROM.
> Which tells me the CD-ROM *can* boot a disc, something else is
messing
> with it.  I have a suspicion (this may sound whacky) that it is the
> memory.  I added a gig dimm - corsair valueselect.  I had quite a bit
of
> problems with my wireless untill I removed the original 512mb HP
dimm.
> Unfortunately I've sold the 512mb dimm so I can't swap them back to
see
> if that is in fact the problem.
>
> The reason why I think this is possible, is because HP was a bit mean
> with this particular notebook.  They locked the BIOS to only accept
> certain wireless cards.  I wanted to replace the broadcom with
something
> that's better supported, so I bought an intel 2200 mini-pci card (HP
> branded even!).  Upon switching on the notebook after installing the
> card, I simply got a post message saying "Unsupported wireless device
> detected" and the notebook wouldn't even boot.  Apparently I had the
> wrong part number.

If for some odd reason, you think it's RAM module/size related, I
suggest you go over your BIOS settings with a fine
toothed-comb...(though I'm guessing) look into settings like "shadow
BIOS", and "Hole at 1MB boundary" (or 15-16MB boundary). Perhaps try;
if there's a "Load Setup Optimized Defaults" (BUT... note ALL your
orig. settings Prior).

May even look into Flashing that BIOS, if you think it's related to
some munged ROM or CMOS/NV-RAM code....HP may also be using an area of
the HDD to *store* your NV-RAM data, and the ROM BIOS is just a
'pointer' to that *hidden* HDD area.

try;
# hdparm -I /dev/hda

By chance - is that a Matsushita DVD-RAM drive ? (or similar?)