Re: Printer for linux?

On 4/19/06, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-04-17 at 16:38 -0700, Kelly Clowers wrote:
> > On 4/17/06, Doofus <doofus@bulldoghome.com> wrote:
> >
> > <snip>
> > > My potted understanding is that unix/linux applications generally output
> > > postscript formatted data for printing and since Joe Public can't afford
> > > a postcript capable printer, postscript interpreters (eg ghostscript)
> > > have been developed which sit in between postscript data streams and non
> > > postscript (HP PCL?) printers. Do correct me if I'm wrong with any of this.
> >
> > I have never heard of a separate PS interpreter, they may be out there,
> > but it isn't anything you need, because Linux can talk to PCL printers
>
> Meaning you've never heard of a PS interpreter being built into a
> printer?

No, I got confused and thought he was talking about a separate device that
was just a postscript interpreter, that you would put between the computer
and the printer. I envisioned that you would send postscript to the device
and it would send PCL to the printer. His response to my email made me
realize that wasn't what he was talking about and I corrected myself in
another email. I am aware of software PS interpreters for computers and
of printers with PS interpreters built in. If there is a separate device, I am
unaware of it, as I said.