Re: RAID Sizes (was Re: Why do people in the UK put a u in the word color?)

Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Tuesday 18 April 2006 05:31, Willie Wonka wrote:
>
> > Maybe I'm dense, but;
> > kb = kilobit
> > KB = KiloByte
> > mb = megabit
> > MB = MegaByte
> >
> > 1 bit * 8 = 1 byte
                  ^^
I forgot to capitalize my 'B' in "Byte" above

> > 1 Byte / 8 = 1 bit
>
> That's right, except it's kb or kB (for kilobits and kilobytes
respectively),
> never KB or Kb.  k is "kilo," K is "Karat."

Ok - thanks - now only if everyone would remember and use these...

What I more than eluded to earlier; concerning SATA specs and serial
signaling data transfer rates...have I found a solution ?

IOW - Is this how one would correctly display these rates ?
1500mbps = 1.5gbps = 187.5mBps = 1.875gBps ?

As you can see the capitalized 'B' appears a tad ...'out of place'(?),
but it's likely /very/ necessary, in order to maintain clarity.

While I may over-annunciate and over-emphasize when referring to
"Bytes", instead of "bits" (via my use of GB/MB/KB vs. gb/mb/kb), it
seems my silly method may be more effective - otherwise we're in for
some serious rabid-rabbits taking over - with all those *Karats*
(Carrots) hanging around, ready to be eaten :-)

Contextually though, they are completely different - like oh say using
the acronym *IDE* , which can be Integrated Device Electronics -or-
Integrated Development Environment ((in most 'computer' circles) and
completely dependent upon the context of it's use).
oh, the heck with it, lol ;-)

I've seen some well-known hardware review sites refer to SATA drive
specs as *1.5GBPS* (and similarly, 3.0GBps for SATA II / SATA 2 spec.)

BTW - if anyone's a Jeweler, would the 'K' (Karat) ever be used in
combination with a 'B' ? (capital or lowercase)....and I never could
remember if Karat is with a 'K' or a 'C' :doh: