Re: ATTN: Barbara Oncay

On Tue, Apr 18, 2006 at 01:59:07PM -0700, David E. Fox wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 10:54:23 -0700
> Steve Lamb <grey@dmiyu.org> wrote:
>
> > Andrei Popescu wrote:
> > > But your message doesn't have it!
> >
> >     Yes it does.  Please stop spreading misinformation.
>
> Aha. Using sylpheed, it's there, if I "view source" but it is not there
> when I read the message regularly. You also (as Andrew) have a PGP
> signature. I don't bother with PGP, so never bothered to set it up, but
> maybe the existence of a PGP signature in the message (and/or the
> inability to process it) causes the "how to unsubscribe" signature to
> not be visible, using normal means.

No, that's not the reason it doesn't show up.  The reason is that the
debian footer is appended as plain text to all messages sent from the
List; if the message is multipart MIME, then the appended text follows the
well-defined (see RFCs 1341, 2046) MIME structure and is correctly
not displayed.  It's kind of a side effect of PGP, since that pretty much
guarantees that the message will be structured using MIME, but the same
effect (the footer not being visible) occurs whenever multipart MIME is
used, whether for HTML or for other (abitrary) reasons.

This might be considered a bug (#345283) in the debian lists, or perhaps
of the SmartList software used, but it (hiding the footer) is not a bug
in the various MUAs used to read the mail -- unless they *do* show it.

Seems like this might be worth addressing in a(n) FAQ somewhere...

--
Ken Irving