Re: .htaccess in Sarge

Hans du Plooy wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I'm not sure what I'm missing.  I migrated some web apps from a SLES9
> box to a Sarge box, and all is fine, except one page that is protected
> by a .htaccess file.
>
> Apache2 simply doesn't see it - nothing in the logs, and no password
> prompt.
>
> Here is the content of the .htaccess:
>
> AuthUserFile /var/www/mailadmin/admin/.htpasswd
> AuthName "Enter Password"
> AuthType Basic
> Require valid-user
>
> And in /etc/apache2/apache2.conf, I have:
>
> AccessFileName .htaccess
>
> <Files ~ "^\.ht">
>     Order allow,deny
>     Deny from all
> </Files>
>

> What am I missing?
>
> Thanks
> Hans

A couple of things:

Do you have an "AllowOverride None" directive anywhere in your
apache2.conf?  If so, you can allow the authentication like so:

<Directory /var/www/mailadmin/admin/>
  AllowOverride AuthConfig
</Directory>

You can also use "AllowOverride All" if you want to be able to to do
other tricks in the .htaccess file without restarting the apache
process.  Also, if you are not going to be changing this frequently, it
is better to simply place the authentication configuration directives
directly into the apache2.conf or the virtual host config file.  Reading
and processing .htaccess files incurs a performance penalty under apache.

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez