Re: Firewall software for Debian

On Sun, 2006-04-16 at 20:35 -0400, Ian MacDonald wrote:
> In keeping with Easter, and not putting all your eggs in one basket, you
> might check out fwbuilder too.
>
> I can't get away from the fwbuilder GUI and the knobs there.
>
> Nice plugins for PIX, Linksys, etc. too.
>
> http://freshmeat.net/projects/fwbuilder/
> http://packages.debian.org/unstable/net/fwbuilder
>
> iMac
>
> On Sun, 2006-04-16 at 17:46 -0400, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> > lmyho wrote:
> > > Hello All,
> > >
> > > I would like to ask for advice on the good firewall software to use for Debian.
> > >
> > > Thank you for sll help information!!
> > >
> > > Leo
> >
> > Use shorewall.
> >
> > -Roberto

I agree, Ian.

FWBuilder is probably the bestestest Program I have seen for doing
firewalls.

Infact, I went from Using Linux to OpenBSD for my firewall,
lo-and-behold... all I had to do was change the os type and mechanism
(pf vs iptables) and life was good.

Plus, as you say there are things for PIX and now Cisco stuff (well PIX
is Cisco, but for me they are still seperate)

I have 8 active and 4 inactive ports on this machine. Was as simple as
recompiling it for openbsd and pf. Nice setup, I can do a bridging
firewall to the DMZ from the Internet and also a full firewall from the
DMZ/Internet to the LAN. it is really nice.

--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

The technology that is
Stronger, Better, Faster: Linux

Use Debian GNU/Linux, its a bazaar thing

NOTICE: Due to Presidential Executive Orders, the
National Security Agency may have read this email
without warning, warrant, or notice, and certainly
without probable cause. They may do this without
any judicial or legislative oversight. You have no
recourse nor protection.