Re: Best Video Card

On 4/16/06, Manaen Schlabach <manaen.schlabach@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/16/06, John Carline <jtc@stic.net> wrote:
> >

> > Manaen Schlabach wrote:
> >
> > >Well I am finally thinking about upgrading my tired old radeon 7500.
> > >I know that ATI and Nvidia both have decent cards but their drivers
> > >are completely closed.  I know and understand that companies must
> > >protect some of their trade secrets but I would like very much to
> > >support a graphics manufacturer who opens their specs as much as
> > >possible to opensource and free software developers.  Having said
> > >that, what are everyones thoughts about which card that might be?  At
> > >one time it was Matrox are they still the most GNU/Linux friendly out
> > >there or has someone else taken the lead on that?
> > >
> > <cut>
> >
> > Matrox was at one time the most GNU/Linux friendly cards made. At one
> > time I thought that it was the only brand I would ever need on a linux
> > box - I've owned many different Matrox cards over the years and still
> > have a G450 in one of my computers.
> >
> > Several months ago I decided to upgrade and invested in a Matrox
> > Millennium P750. It was the worst mistake I've made in years. After
> > several days of frustration, I yanked it out and replaced it with a
> > radeon 9200.
> >
> > It's now collecting dust in my junk bin. My advice... stay away from the
> > latest Matrox cards. They are *not* GNU/Linux friendly.
> >
> > John
> >
> > --
> > Powered by the Penguin
> >

> > --
> >

> So far it looks like nvidia is the only graphics manufacturer
> attempting to do anything to work with the Free Software community.
> Is that fair?
>
> What about
>     3Dlabs
> Intel - "i" series
>     * NVIDIA Corporation - GeForce including GeForce 4 series, GeForce
> FX Series, GeForce 6 Series, GeForce 7 Series
>
> [edit]
>
> Specialty graphics card producers and products
>
>     * Matrox - Parhelia and P-series
>
> [edit]
>
> Minor chipset producers and products
>
>     * Falanx Microsystems - Mali
>     * S3 Graphics - Chrome series
>     * Tech Source - Raptor
>     * XGI Technology Inc. - Volari

Looks like I was very quick with my trigger finger there and sent
before I finished editing sorry.  I had pulled a list of Video Card
OEMs from a wiki about video card manufacturers.  So what about
     3Dlabs
    Intel - "i" series
   Falanx Microsystems - Mali
   S3 Graphics - Chrome series
   Tech Source - Raptor
   XGI Technology Inc. - Volari

I realize many of those are small time manufacturers.  It's very sad
that no one in the video card world seems to be willing to come
anywhere even close (an open 2d card driver from nvidia and that's as
close as we come?) to supporting open/free standards.  My personal
experience has been that the free software community invariably does a
better job of supporting hardware and writing drivers than most in the
commercial industry.