Re: Best Video Card

Manaen Schlabach wrote:

Well I am finally thinking about upgrading my tired old radeon 7500. I know that ATI and Nvidia both have decent cards but their drivers
are completely closed.  I know and understand that companies must
protect some of their trade secrets but I would like very much to
support a graphics manufacturer who opens their specs as much as
possible to opensource and free software developers.  Having said
that, what are everyones thoughts about which card that might be?  At
one time it was Matrox are they still the most GNU/Linux friendly out
there or has someone else taken the lead on that?
<cut>

Matrox was at one time the most GNU/Linux friendly cards made. At one time I thought that it was the only brand I would ever need on a linux box - I've owned many different Matrox cards over the years and still have a G450 in one of my computers.

Several months ago I decided to upgrade and invested in a Matrox Millennium P750. It was the worst mistake I've made in years. After several days of frustration, I yanked it out and replaced it with a radeon 9200.

It's now collecting dust in my junk bin. My advice... stay away from the latest Matrox cards. They are *not* GNU/Linux friendly.

John