udev, lm-sensors and esd

I upgraded my debian testing 2.6.16 udev so that I could use the latest hotsynch software for my new phone, but the operation has brought down my hardware monitoring and my sound driver.

In gkrellm, the CPU temps & voltages are no longer available.

When I launch KDE, it tells me the sound driver can't connect.

I have been researching the issues. It looks like the appropriate drivers have not been created - for instance, the following paths are empty or non-existent:

I have a feeling from my present understanding of udev that perhaps udev should be configured to sort out this stuff, but I'm not sure how.

Can anyone help?