Re: ATTN: Barbara Oncay

On Apr 14, 2006, at 8:54 PM, Ken Irving wrote:

On Fri, Apr 14, 2006 at 07:33:58PM -0400, Rich Johnson wrote:

On Apr 14, 2006, at 6:22 PM, Ken Irving wrote:
[...snip...]

...for rfc2046 messages.  My understanding is that all MUAs should
show the trailer when handling unencapsulated rfc822 messages.

IANAL, nor particularly versed in RFCs, but it looks to me like RFC
2046 and neighbors (in several parts) lay out the recommendations for
MIME messages.  The debian "unsubscribe sig" does appear on non-MIME
messages (non-rfc2046?) on my MUA (mutt), but are correctly not shown
in MIME encoded ones since they fall into the epilogue section.  I
can't find anything relevant on "unencapsulated rfc822"; can you
provide any references?

Sorry for the confusion. In retrospect, I probably should have referred to ''rfc822 messages with unencapsulated bodies''.

I was referring to rfc822's specification for encapsulating the message header data, but not its body. Rfc2046 provides additional specification for encapsulating the message body. From a class perspective rfc2046 messages can be viewed as a subclass/specialization of rfc822 messages.

For example--this message. It conforms to rfc822, but not rfc2046, because the body is not encapsulated.

N.B. If I had added _any_ attachment, my MUA would've sent a rfc2046 message instead.

P.S.  by now I sure hope that Barbara Oncay is no longer subscribed :-)