Trying to protect another computer with a gnome-lokkit firewall

I started out trying to set up a floppy firewall with an old PC, rescued from the
motherboard of a defunct PC.  Too impatient to wait for the Trenton Computer
Fair (two weeks hence) and a nice empty PC case, I went to a local flea market
& picked up a misconfigured PC on which someone had attempted to load
WinXP on top of Win98, but the CD whence the WinXP came had been set up to
rescue a notebook. My debian install disk took care of that deficiency just fine, but when I tried to make a GUI for it, aptitude filled the hard drive or its root partition however which way I attempted the installation. So I tried one more time, but using apt-get and making the hard drive all one partition, and that
worked fine.  No extraneous packages bloating the system ...

So now I have a perfectly good desktop PC running debian, openoffice, samba,
etc. just fine, and I still need a firewall to protect a legacy PC with a foreign OS that hasn't got any virus protection, but which I'd like to network. I installed gnome-lokkit and set it up as a firewall with zero hassle. I've managed to configure the debian PC's two NIC's, one connected as an input from my LinkSys router, and the other intended as an output to the PC to be protected. I can ping the other PC from the debian PC ... I can ping another, well protected notebook PC on the network, but the router is set up to ignore pings from the outside world, so it doesn't echo to the debian PC. That makes things a little harder. I think I'd
better set up the LinkSys to recognize the debian PC as one of the family.

Here are my questions:

1. Should I use a crossover Ethrnet cable between the debian PC and the PC that's
chained to it ?  Or a standard Ethernet cable ?

2. Do I give the IP address of the debian PC as the Gateway address for the other PC ?

3. Any other advice or hints would be greatly appreciated.

One note: The Norton firewall on the Notebook PC has recorded no port scans,
no login attempts, no nefarious outside activity at all since I set the LinkSys router into stealth mode - not to repond to pings or port scans. So I'm probably using overkill when I add another firewall between the debian PC and the second PC.
I'm mainly doing it just to learn how.

Thanks,
George