Re: Trying to protect another computer with a gnome-lokkit firewall

On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 03:09:56 -0400
George Langford <george@georgesbasement.com> wrote:

> Here are my questions:
>
> 1. Should I use a crossover Ethrnet cable between the debian PC and the
> PC that's
> chained to it ?  Or a standard Ethernet cable ?

Unless you have at least one network card with with auto MDIX (or auto
crossover) you have to use a crossover cable, otherwise you will get
no link.

> 2. Do I give the IP address of the debian PC as the Gateway address for
> the other PC ?

Yep

> 3. Any other advice or hints would be greatly appreciated.
>
> One note: The Norton firewall on the Notebook PC has recorded no port scans,
> no login attempts, no nefarious outside activity at all since I set the
> LinkSys router
> into stealth mode - not to repond to pings or port scans.  So I'm
> probably using
> overkill when I add another firewall between the debian PC and the
> second PC.
> I'm mainly doing it just to learn how.

Too much protection won't hurt (in most cases) and I wouldn't trust
Norton firewall too much.
There is a limitation though. With this setup you need to have the
Debian box running if you want to access the net from the other
desktop. If you will be keeping it on the whole time (and it runs
stable enough) you might consider chaining your whole network through
it. IMHO a Debian stable with firewall on, kept up to date with security
updates should be enough protection for home use, even if you take away
the LinkSys. But you still need a personal
firewall/antivirus/anti-spyware for windoze boxes, as there might be
trouble from inside

Andrei
(Albert Einstein)