Re: ATTN: Barbara Oncay

On Fri, Apr 14, 2006 at 01:11:20PM -0400, hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 14, 2006 at 09:33:35AM -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:
> > Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> > > Huh, look at that. It doesn't show up in any of the attachments
> > > either. Just not there. Good eye Gene.
> >     It's there.
>
> This is not the first time I've seen an argument about whether a
> specific message had the unsubscribe tag-line appended to it.
> There would seem to be confused mail clients out there that  cut off the
> signature if there is also a PGP key.  Does anyone know which ones?

IMHO the confused clients must be the ones showing the tag-line. ;-)

I think the pgp thing is a red (pink?) herring; the effect is actually due
to MIME encoding, which pgp messages use, as do other messages. Looking
at my debian list mail, most multipart messages are pgp, others are html,
and a few have just plain text sections.  The unsubscribe tag-line does
not show in my mutt MUA in any of these.  If I add another mime boundary
before the debian tag-line, then it does show up (er, except for the
html ones for some reason...).

I've looked a bit at the SmartList source, but haven't found where/how
this is configured; adding the tag-line, that is.  Per another ressponse
in this thread, if the tagline were to be identified properly as another
multipart section it would probably appear in compliant MUAs.

Hard to say if this would really help for the OP, of course, especially
as there are plenty of non-MIME messages that should show the information.

--
Ken Irving