Re: exim4 smtp tls/ssl question

On Fri, 14 Apr 2006 16:16:36 +0200, Lubos Vrbka in gmane.linux.debian.user
wrote:

>hi guys,

>i want to setup the exim on my machine to trasnsfer all outgoing mail to
> a smarthost client only - i'd like to try mutt and since it (according
>to docs) doesn't do smtp, i need mta.

That's what I use as well. Mutt is an excellent choice.

>i dpkg-reconfigured exim4-config and selected the option 'mail sent by
>smarthost; no local mail' because it's exactly what i need, i think.

Not so sure about that. Wouldn't local mail be stuff sent to the root
account etc. ? In any event I don't think it'll hurt to enable this
option, as I have it enabled in my Exim4 configuration -- I'm using
smarthost as well.

>now, i'd like exim4 to use ssl when logging to the smarthost to avoid
>sending password in plaintext.  i put relevant information to
>/etc/exim4/passwd.client.

>then i tried to send a message to one of my mail addresses. it was
>delivered correctly, however i'm not sure whether it used TLS or not.

>the transcript of the 'session' is given below:

<snip>

>i can see the command STARTTLS, but was it really used? also, i recall
>that for TLS transactions port 465 should be used, shouldn't it?

Not sure. Is the e-mail actually being sent ? Does your smarthost
have a web front end to view e-mails ?

>if i'm wrong what else i need to supply? many pages mention adding
>cert/key files and some tls-related switches to the config but it seems
>to be related to the situation when exim4 acts as the smtp server...
>(and that's not my situation).

I've sent mine up to send via GMail as smarthost. You're asking Exim4 to
be a smtp server BTW.

>i'd be glad for any hints.

See above. Enable local delivery and to see if it makes a difference.

I'm not exactly sure what your problem is; Are you saying it doesn't
work or that you're not sure if it's working ?