exim4 smtp tls/ssl question

hi guys,

i want to setup the exim on my machine to trasnsfer all outgoing mail to
 a smarthost client only - i'd like to try mutt and since it (according
to docs) doesn't do smtp, i need mta.

i dpkg-reconfigured exim4-config and selected the option 'mail sent by
smarthost; no local mail' because it's exactly what i need, i think.

now, i'd like exim4 to use ssl when logging to the smarthost to avoid
sending password in plaintext.  i put relevant information to
/etc/exim4/passwd.client.

then i tried to send a message to one of my mail addresses. it was
delivered correctly, however i'm not sure whether it used TLS or not.

the transcript of the 'session' is given below:

delivering 1FUONN-0006ak-KB
R: smarthost for xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
T: remote_smtp_smarthost for xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Connecting to xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [xx.xx.xx.xx]:25 ... connected
  SMTP<< 220 xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ESMTP Postfix
  SMTP>> EHLO localhost.localdomain
  SMTP<< 250-xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
         250-PIPELINING
         250-SIZE 10240000
         250-VRFY
         250-ETRN
         250-STARTTLS
         250 8BITMIME
  SMTP>> STARTTLS
  SMTP<< 220 Ready to start TLS
  SMTP>> EHLO localhost.localdomain
  SMTP<< 250-xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
         250-PIPELINING
         250-SIZE 10240000
         250-VRFY
         250-ETRN
         250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN
         250 8BITMIME
  SMTP>> AUTH PLAIN ********************
  SMTP<< 235 Authentication successful
  SMTP>> MAIL FROM:<x@x.y> SIZE=1443 AUTH=xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  SMTP>> RCPT TO:<x@x.y>
  SMTP>> DATA
  SMTP<< 250 Ok
  SMTP<< 250 Ok
  SMTP<< 354 End data with <CR><LF>.<CR><LF>
  SMTP>> writing message and terminating "."
  SMTP<< 250 Ok: queued as 6B1467A49
  SMTP>> QUIT
LOG: MAIN
  => x@x.y R=smarthost T=remote_smtp_smarthost H=xxxxxxxxxxx [xxxxxxxxx]
X=TLS-1.0:RSA_AES_256_CBC_SHA1:32
LOG: MAIN
  Completed

i can see the command STARTTLS, but was it really used? also, i recall
that for TLS transactions port 465 should be used, shouldn't it?

if i'm wrong what else i need to supply? many pages mention adding
cert/key files and some tls-related switches to the config but it seems
to be related to the situation when exim4 acts as the smtp server...
(and that's not my situation).

i'd be glad for any hints.

with best regards,

- --