Re: Cameras.

On Fri, Apr 14, 2006 at 06:11:14PM +0100, Doofus wrote:
> Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

> >>I have long and pleasing experience with Canon PowerShot A60/70/80
> >>

> >I have been very happy with my powershot A80 as well. Nice little
> >camera with some great pro features and some little tricks that
> >really can help. I'm not at my machine right now so I can't send it,
> >but there is a great review tutorial by a die-hard canon hater. I'll
> >send later.

> I also have a Canon A80 and concur with Mitja and Andrew. I suspect it
> may be out of production now(?) I've seen an A95 in the shops though.
> The point is you'll be pressed to find anything better than the
> PowerShot series in the same price bracket. Reading a few online reviews
> should confirm that for you. I've had over a year of flawless digital
> photography now (that's the equipment I'm talking about, not the
> photographer ;O)

To follow up my previous comments, here is the link I mentioned:

http://albert.achtung.com/cameras/A80/

pretty good review and information.

here are some of my general ideas about cameras:

1. go for a camera that uses standard batteries. The A80 uses 4 AAA
batteries. This is great because if you don't have a charger along or
whatever, you can find them just about anywhere in a pinch.

2. avoid proprietary formats... this is obvious, though I don't think
there are many out there... Nikon? maybe

3. I think most camera's do this, but a standard memory card is great
because they're easy to find, cheap etc. Oh, and its definitely worth
it to buy a couple of memory cards right off the bat. get some big
ones. they're great.

4. There's more to a camera than just its megapixel's different chips
handle different sizes in different ways. the above link goes into
this in some detail.

5. IMO, you've gotta have a fully manual setting, even if you never
think you'll use it, I find that the cost of bad shots in a digital
camera (free!) really encourage experimentation...

the A80 does all this...

that's it for my fanboy A80 comments.

cheers