Re: Upgrading from Ubuntu to Debian

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 15:38:27 -0400
Chris Dunn <chris@tropictc.com> wrote:

> I'm coming to Debian via Ubuntu.
>
> Ubuntu (Breezy Badger) mightily impressed me after struggling for
> several years and never quite succeeding with Slackware.
>
> I'd now like to remove the fluff, and get to the underlying Debian
> basics.
>
> Is there any established method for moving from Ubuntu to Debian Testing
> without doing a complete new installation of Debian?
>
> Chris Dunn

I know of two methods:

1. debootstrap. You can do this even if you have only ssh access, but
it's tricky

2. change your sources.list to point to debian testing and do a
dist-upgrade. GOOD LUCK!!!

I would rather do the reinstall. Here's why:

The first method is basically a reinstall from inside, so no gain
here...
The second method is VERY error prone. You might get into dependency
hell, config hell, ... and this (should at least) replaces all
Ubuntu packages with their debian versions. So not very far from a
reinstall either.

I'm usually not recommending the "doze" way, but changing distro is
changing distro, even if Ubuntu is very similar to Debian.

Of course this is all my 0.02 RON, IMHO, YMMV, you get the idea ;)

Andrei
(Albert Einstein)