Re: gnome - window manager

On Tue, Apr 11, 2006 at 08:42:12AM -0500, Sumo Wrestler (or just ate too much) wrote:
>debianista.deb wrote:
>>hey
>>    Can anybody tell me where gnome sets the window manager (metacity) ?
>>please
>>    My gnome runs without metacity how can I fix it ? please
>
>You might use the "gconf-editor" and go into
>/desktop/gnome/applications/window-manager. Unfortunately, when I've tried
>changing things under that key, my changes have been ignored.

That gconf key is a strange little entity indeed. I've always had
success when using the following steps to replace metacity with openbox:

 1. Use the GNOME session tool to make sure metacity isn't respawned
    when it's killed.
 2. Open a terminal and type

     % pkill metacity; sleep 3; openbox

 3. Remember to save the session when logging out of GNOME.

/M

magnus@therning.org
http://therning.org/magnus

by patent law on written works.

We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements of
enthusiastic about.
     -- Albert Einstein