Re: Re: How can I delete Evolution?

On Fri, Apr 14, 2006 at 12:50:45PM +0300, Eugen Rahaian wrote:

> Hi,
> I did it. I removed gnome-desktop-environment. The gnome package was
> removed also.
> After this, I used aptitude to see what happened, and I found all that 50+
> packages scheduled for deletion. They all had the automatic flag on. So, I
> had to check most of them and 'keep' them (command ':').

Hi Eugen,
if you apt-get install gnome-core, that should fix the problem.

> The result is that I was able to remove evolution and rhythmbox packages. I
> still have evolution-data-server, a big 9MB package because it seems that
> gnome meeting depends on it.
>
> Considering that there is no real dependency between Gnome and Evolution,
the 'gnome' packages is just a package that depends upon the full gnome
desktop files including the extras. the 'gnome-core' is like the 'gnome'
package but does not depends upon all of the extra things like
evolution and other things.
> this procedure was not a simple way to remove the mail client. Also I had
> to give up to those meta-packages which may have some usefulness that I
> lost.
You can with the equivs package create a custom metapackages to suite
your needs. See the debian-mentors mailing list at lists.debian.org.
otherwise, just install the gnome-core and rememeber to keep the other
gnome things uptodate by hand.

> Due to the package management, Evolution seems to be more integrated than
> it really is.
Most folks who use gnome as a desktop use evo. I have gnome but do not
and just leave it installed to avoid this hassle to remove it. Its a few
MB of stuff which for most hard drives is not much space.

> As I understand these meta-packages are normal empty packages. Maybe they
> should be more flexible, in a way  to allow differentiating between a real
> dependency and an association of packages.
see above comment on equivs.
cheers,
Kev