Re: Running 2 versions of Debian?

Cameron Matheson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Apr 13, 2006 at 02:54:32PM -0700, Redefined Horizons wrote:
>
>>I need a stable Debian OS for certain applications, but I would also like to
>>work with some more recent versions of software for some development
>>projects. Is it possible to run the stable and testing versions of Debian on
>>the same hard drive, but in different partitions? What would be the
>>disadvantages of that system? Where can I find some more information about
>>how to set that type of system up? (I'm currently dual-booting Debian with
>>MS Windows XP.)
>

> This is definitely possible... you would just triple-boot w/ two versions of
> Debian... it seems like it would be a lot easier to just compile mono if
> that's the only piece of software you are lacking though.
>
> Good luck,
> Cameron Matheson
>
> P.S. If you need to shrink down your existing partitions look into gparted.

Here is a howto I wrote on package customization (also useful for
backporting):  http://familiasanchez.net/~roberto/howtos/debcustomize

Also, a chroot environment is probably preferable in this instance.  I
would also consider Xen.  That obviates the need to reboot to use the
different environments.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez