Re: chroot problem with grub

On Thursday 13 April 2006 13:21, Philippe De Ryck wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-04-13 at 12:13 -0600, Justin Guerin wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > [snip problem]
>
> Justin,
>
> I don't think it is necessary to chroot at all. The knoppix disk has
> grub on board, so you can use that command. The command also has a
> command line switch to specify a device (/dev/hda for instance) and you
> can also specify a root-dir. If you specify as root-dir the mount point
> of your system (/mnt/target) grub will take the config file
> from /mnt/target/boot/...) and everything should work just fine.
>
> If you search the internet (or the manual perhaps) for this specific
> info you'll find a lot more.
>
> Good luck
>
> Philippe De Ryck

You're right, it wasn't necessary to chroot.  I simply mounted the drives
and issued the command "grub-install --root-directory=/mnt/target /dev/hda"
and it worked.  For good measure, before I rebooted, I chrooted and ran
update-grub, but I'm not certain that was necessary.  Now, all my kernels
are back and working.

Thanks Philippe!