chroot problem with grub

Hi,

I've had to move my install to a new physical disk.  I made an image of my
two partitions (/boot and /), and they restored properly.  Now, I only need
to run grub-install to install the boot loader.

When I boot from Knoppix, I can mount the / to /mnt/target, then mount /boot
to /mnt/target/boot, and /proc to /mnt/target/proc, but I can't get
grub-install to work properly.  When I chroot /mnt/target, and run grub,
grub can't see the drives (error 21).  However, when I back out of the
chroot, grub sees the drives just fine.

Can anyone tell me how grub accesses the bios to find out information about
drives?  I'm not passing something through the chroot, but I have no idea
what.  The device nodes are available in the chroot, and so is proc.  I'm
running as root, and I know I have access to the device nodes.

Any help is appreciated.

Justin