Re: trouble getting my wireless stuff to work

> Looks like whether or not there's a working Linux
> driver for your wireless card depends on the hardware
> revision of your particular card. For your card there
> appear to be 3 revisions and only 1 (C1) is reported
> to have a working native Linux driver. Check out this
> link to help you figure out which revision you have:
> http://support.dlink.com/products/DWLG650.asp
>
> If you are lucky and have the C1 revision, use the
> MadWiFi Linux driver. If not, try the Prism or Madwifi
> drivers and if you can't get them to work, fall back
> to the ndiswrapper approach -- but if at all possible
> use a native Linux driver.
>
> Once you've figured out if you have the C1 revision or
> not, post back here if you need help with getting the
> driver included in the kernel and other setup, or if
> you need help with ndiswrapper.
>
> HTH
>
> Mark

indeed, i could use some help setting up the madwifi driver. specifically, in
the error output from the compiler:

	make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/kernel-headers-2.6.8-2-386'
	  CC [M]  /home/kloro/linux/madwifi-ng/ath_hal/ah_osdep.o
	In file included from include/asm/thread_info.h:16,
               	  from include/linux/thread_info.h:21,
               	  from include/linux/spinlock.h:12,
               	  from include/linux/capability.h:45,
               	  from include/linux/sched.h:7,
               	  from include/linux/module.h:10,
               	  from /home/kloro/linux/madwifi-ng/ath_hal/ah_osdep.c:46:
	include/asm/processor.h:93: error: array type has incomplete element type
	make[3]: *** [/home/kloro/linux/madwifi-ng/ath_hal/ah_osdep.o] Error 1
	make[2]: *** [_module_/home/kloro/linux/madwifi-ng/ath_hal] Error 2
	make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/kernel-headers-2.6.8-2-386'
	make[1]: *** [all] Error 2
	make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/kloro/linux/madwifi-ng/ath_hal'
	make: *** [modules] Error 1

the line 'include/asm/processor.h:93: error: array type has incomplete element
type' refers to the following bit of code in 'processor.h':

	extern struct tss_struct init_tss[NR_CPUS];

i did further research which seems to indicate that version 4 of the gcc
compiler doesn't like declarations of the form:

	extern struct foobar array[];

but wants to see instead the form:

	extern struct foobar *array;

but i don't know enough about gcc to determine if indeed this kind of problem
is the problem with the declaration in 'processor.h'. and if it is, how does
the principle apply to the declaration in 'processor.h'? i.e., wtf do i need
to change in the header file? further, i cannot find on the internet anything
like a comprehensive list of gcc error messages.

thanks in advance for your ideas,

tom arnall
north spit, ca