Re: Upgrade xorg in Sid breaks link

On Wed April 12 2006 10:56, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 12, 2006 at 02:29:12PM +0100, Anthony Campbell wrote:

> > > There seems to have been an issue with this while Xorg 7.0 was still in
> > > experimental, but according to the changelog it was fixed:
> > >
> > > ----------
> > > xorg (1:7.0.10) unstable; urgency=low
> > >
> > >   * Force migration of symlink if it points to /bin/true. Thanks Sune
> > >   Vuorela
> > >     for the bug report and Ari Pollak for the fix.
> > >   * Upload to unstable
> > > ----------
> > >
> > > Therefore it is probably appropriate to file a bug report against
> > > "x11-common" or "xserver-xorg". (The package maintainer will reassign
> > > it if necessary.)
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > >            Florian
> >
> > It's just happened on another machine as well, so I will report it.
>
> apt-cache policy shows that xserver-xorg and x11-common just went to
> 7.0.10 today (I upgraded yesterday morning) so this is sure to generate
> a lot of mail...

I upgraded to 7.0.10 this morning. Unfortunately, after doing so, I could not
get X to start. I thought it might be the symlink problem of which Mr.
Campbell spoke. However, after checking, I found that the symlink had not
been changed and was still pointing to /usr/bin/X11/Xorg. I am at a complete
loss as to why X will not start.

I decided to restore my system from yesterday's backup. I am up and running
normally again but am at a loss as to what is causing X to fail upon startup.
I'm hesitant to upgrade again just to see the messages that appear in the
syslog and/or bootlog.

Rick
--
Rick's Law: What cannot be imagined will be accomplished by a fool.