Screen resolution problem / unstable

Hi All,
I am new to Debian (previously SuSE and Fedora user :()and have set Debian
up on my AMD-64 - 1Gb ram - N-Vidia video card - and HP 1024*768 res LCD
display.
Where my screen resolution has always been stable under SuSE or Fedora, it
doesnt appear to be with Debian.
I set the system up with the NV driver, and took the installers advice to
not use autodetect for the screen, and defined it as 1024*768.
So far all well and good, but if I then load up the display setting in KDE
the highest resolution offered is 800*600, and from that point onwards I
cannot again access the 1024*768 screen size.
Is there a workaround, or is there something I have missed in my setup? I
would welcome any input. Many thanks
Steve Sheldon