Re: udev vs. usbmgr

On Tue, Apr 11, 2006 at 04:20:09PM +0200, steef wrote:
> hi list,
>
> read some disturbing and some re-assuring messages about udev which
> standard is installed as part of my sarge distro, standard kernel
> 2.6.8-2-386.
>
> who can/will give me a weighted judgement about udev version 0.05x in
> comparison to packages like usbmgr and the like?

For sarge you probably want udev in conjunction with hotplug -- usbmgr
in unstable at least tells you to use hotplug.  One note: on upgrading
from to the new stable whenever it comes out, you will probably be asked
to remove hotplug--udev does now what hotplug used to do.  I'm using
udev quite happily in debian unstable with kernel 2.6.17-rc1 and have
used it since 2.6.15 when I installed this box.

--
Christopher Nelson -- chris@cavein.org
It is Mr. Mellon's credo that $200,000,000 can do no wrong.  Our