Re: / full?

On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 14:16:25 -0400
Chris Parker <chris_parker@countyfloors.net> wrote:

> I have filled up the / partition.  a copy of fstab is below:
>
> $/ df -h
> /dev/hda1             250M  249M     0 100% /

Ow. First I'd check places like /var/log, or /var/cache/apt/archives,
possibly one or the other places are filling up with log or other info.

> Is it possible to symlink /bin, /etc/, + others into the /home
> partition? or just use a partitioner to resize the /home?  Which has the

It probably is, but the downside is that you lose the 'separateness' of
the home partition (or vice versa, keeping the OS separate from your
data). I wouldn't recommend it.

Resizing /home won't help, since it's mounted on another partition.
What's in /, is everything that *isn't* mounted someplace else (i.e,
if /tmp or /home is on another partition, it doesn't count against
space used in /', even though it's mounted as part of /.)

dfox@tsoft.com                            change magnetic patterns
dfox@m206-157.dsl.tsoft.com               on your hard disk.