IDE cd-rewriter with a 2.4 kernel

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to get my IDE CD-RW drive to work on Debian 3.1 (with 2.4.27-2-686-smp kernel).  cdrecord -scanbus shows the MegaRAID controllers on 0,0,0 and 0,1,0, and none of the entries include my CD-RW.  If I were to do cdrecord -scanbus dev=ATAPI:, it shows my CD-RW, but also on 0,0,0, which is what's gotten me confused because it showed MegaRAID controllers if i didn't specify the dev=ATAPI:.  I found the suggestion on the web but there are aspects about it that I just don't understand.  This is what they said:

------------
in /etc/modules, have the following modules loaded in the shown order:

ide-detect
ide-cd
ide-scsi

and then edit /etc/conf.modules (or in my case, /etc/modules.conf) to add the following line:

options ide-cd ignore=/dev/hda , where /dev/hda is my CD-rewriter

but what I don't understand is how come lsmod shows that the ide-scsi module is loaded, yet it's ide-scsi is not in /etc/modules? And secondly, /etc/modules.conf says I shouldn't edit that file...
...so what now?

Thanks in advance,

-Glen

Glen Yu | 416-739-4861 | glen.yu@ec.gc.ca