Re: OT: Suspicious File found by chkrootkit

On Sun April 9 2006 11:53, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-04-09 at 07:54 -0400, Rick Friedman wrote:
> > I run chkrootkit daily. Today it has found a file it calls, "suspicious".
> > The file is a zero byte, hidden file. The path is
> > /usr/lib/xulrunner/.autoreg
> >
> > After seeing this warning, I also ran rkhunter (rootkit hunter). The
> > report from rkhunter comes up clean. It does not flag the .autoreg file
> > (or any file for that matter).
> >
> > I am running sid and I believe that the .autoreg file may come from the
> > libxul0d package.
> >
> > Is this a legitimate file or something I should be concerned about? I
> > tend to think chkrootkit flagged it simply because it's hidden and zero
> > bytes. I don't think it's really a threat but I want to make certain.
> >
> > Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
>
> Are you running a web/ftp/telnet server?  IOW, how could the rk
> have been installed?
>
> Have you Googled for that file?
>
> Have you searched the Debian package list?
> http://www.debian.org/
> http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages
> In the "Search the contents of packages" section, enter the file
> name.

I've tried to find out about the .autoreg file. It seems to have something to
do with letting Mozilla and/or Firefox know if an extension has been
installed or uninstalled. I have deleted the file. Thus far there seems to be
no ill effects.

Rick
--
Rick's Law: What cannot be imagined will be accomplished by a fool.