metacity configuration files?

Last night my X session froze and I had to kill everything manually. Since then, every time I start X the metacity desktop throws three question windows at me - sometimes twice each:

   The Show Desktop applet appeasr to have died unexpectedly.
   Do you want to reload this applet?

   The "Window List" applet appears to have died unexpectedly.
   Do you want to reload this applet?

   The "Workspace Switcher" applet appears to have died unexpectedly.
   Do you want to reload this applet?

   The "Window Selector" applet appears to have died unexpectedly.
   Do you want to reload this applet?

I say "Yes" each time but the answers are never remembered for the next session. Does anyone here use this browser, and know where this can be fixed? The man page was barely worth the effort, and I see nothing relevant in /usr/share/doc/metacity or ~/.metacity.

I've had a few minor niggling problems since moving to metacity and the base gnome libraries which I can do without really. If this isn't some silly finger trouble on my part I may go back to windowmaker which is always extremely stable in my experience, if a more of a fiddle to get user friendly.
Not interested in development ;O)