Re: minor (major) fetchmail problem

On Saturday 08 April 2006 22:05, Lloyd Bayley - Berowra PC Services
wrote:
>Yes, true...
>I just run the thing as root and have a .fetchmailrc file in the /root
> dir.. It collects mail for all users in the one file (as all 2 users
> are me!)
>
>Stupid cron keeps emailing me saying fetchmail said:
>
>Warning: Running as root is discouraged
>
>Every 5 flipping minutes....
>Am trying to find a way of turning it's user-checking off. :-)
>
>This didn't happen before....Kernels and packages are getting pickier!
> :-)

Then why don't you reconfigure your incoming mail to run as non-root?

1. fetchmail can be told to run as an unpriviledged user

2. fetchmail can be told to run as a daemon with every so many seconds
wakeup time, so you only start it once in rc.local or such.

3. fetchamil can interface with procmail to use procmail as the MDA

4. procmail can /dev/null obnoxious mail, and run spamassassins spamc
over whats left, and the SA marked mail is finally delivered to the
unpriviledged users /var/spool/$user/mail-file.

5. Then you can use your fav email agent such as kmail, to fetch from
this unpriviledged users mailbox and sort it, with the spam going to a
dedicated JunqueMail folder for later perusal to check on spamassassins
accuracy, or to fine tune its bayes database.

6. This gets rid of 95% of kmails lags because its single-threaded. :-)